Q: Car clicking and not starting

asked by on March 17, 2016

My car will not start. All of the dashboard lights come on, but all it does is click and not start. Could it possibly be the computer or the starter? This has happened in the past and the problem corrected itself. So far this time though, it has not. The lights, radio, and AC work, so that seems to rule out the battery.

The most likely cause of this issue would be your starter. The battery should be good considering that your accessories all work. The first step in diagnosing this issue would be to test the starter for battery voltage. If the starter is getting battery voltage but will not start, the starter has failed. If the starter is the fault, replacement will be required in order to start the vehicle again. Ensure all of these services are performed by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.