Q: Grinding noise when brake is applied

There are approximately 125,000 miles on my car. When I brake, there is a grinding noise and sometimes my car literally shakes. This is a sporadic problem - not continual. My mechanic can't find the problem, so can you tell me what's wrong?

A: A grinding noise can be the brake pad mater...

A grinding noise can be the brake pad material or the pads worn down to metal. The shaking when you brake is most likely the front rotors being warped. Sometimes the rotors will feel okay during light braking, but will shake when stopping at a faster rate. Make sure you let the mechanic know when you feel the shaking; if it is when coming off a major highway and stopping fast, or after a lot of stop-and-go traffic. It helps when diagnosing the problem to know when it happens so it can be duplicated and a diagnosis can be made. A top-rated mechanic can come to your home or business to inspect your grinding while braking condition and recommend the best path to repair.