Q: Ticking noise coming from the driver's side of the engine

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition 4.3 L and 136,000 miles on it. It has a bad ticking noise coming from the driver's side of the engine. Would a thicker oil help it? If so--what weight and brand should I use? Thanks.

Often, that would be lifters making a noise. So, the first thing you’d want to do is get some good engine oil flush and have the engine flushed out, and then change the oil and filter. A lot of times, that would stop the noise. Now, if it doesn’t, my advice would be to change the oil and filter.

Use Castrol oil, that is a very good oil. Put one quart of Lucas oil additive into the mix. A lot of times, that would solve the problem and it would stop ticking. So, you can try that, but first flush it out because flushing is one of the best things you can do in this situation. If you are uncomfortable performing this, have a technician come to the location of your car to inspect the noise and perform any necessary repairs.