Q: Cannot pump gas except a small amount it will cut off like it is full. Gauge will show half full or full. Later it will show empty

Cannot put gas in tank except a small amount it will the cut off like it is full. It will show full on the gage. However it is not. When putting gas in it will stop taking gas. I have to pump like two to three seconds and it will stop. The max I can put in the tank is 10.00 dollars. Could the tank itself be bad? Thanks

A: There are a lot of things that can cause wh...

There are a lot of things that can cause what you’ve described: a faulty fuel sending unit in the tank and the tank is actually full, a stick ORVR valve not allowing pressure in the tank to leave when fueling, or a saturated charcoal canister that cannot let the excess pressure in the tank escape. Are you able to fill an additional $10 in fuel after it cuts off? If so, then this may be a malfunction in the evaporative emission system not allowing pressure to leave the fuel tank when filling. If it cannot take more than $10 at all, then the fuel tank may be full and the sending unit is failing and providing a false reading. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection due to the volatility of fuel. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the fuel problem and advise you on repairs.