Q: Can you change the defected water pump without changing its defected belt (which is the drive belt and only belt in this model of

When there is coolan leak in the timing cover gasket, Can you change the defected water pump without changing its defected belt (which is called the drive belt or serpentine belt and is the only belt in this model of car) when that belt is 16 year old and due for replacement?

Hello. Yes you can replace the water pump without replacing the serpentine belt. If the belt is worn, and it breaks while you are driving, you can damage a lot of other components in that area. Typically the price of a serpentine belt is relatively inexpensive. You will have to remove the belt to replace the water pump anyway. Since you are likely going to have to purchase a new pump, we do recommend that you purchase a belt at the same time. You SHOULD replace the belt if it is worn, and this is a perfect time to do it. It is not necessarily required, but you are putting yourself at risk of another break down at a later time. Not to mention if the belt is already worn, manipulating off and back onto the vehicle while changing the water pump can further damage it, and shorten the amount of time its got left. Belts should be replaced before they break, as to the amount of damage they can cause when they do break. Again, you may be able to get away with not replacing the belt right now, but if its as worn as you say, its going to break sooner than later and should be replaced.

3. Can you change the defected water pump without changing its defected belt (which is the drive belt and only belt in this model of