Q: How do I calculate the load carried ?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I calculate the load carried ?

It’s easy to think that your car can carry pretty much whatever you can cram inside, but that’s not actually the case. Your car has a weight limit, and it’s probably not as high as you think. This limit includes the weight of the driver, all passengers, all cargo, and the tongue of the trailer if you’re towing one.

Honda rates the Accord with a weight limit of 850 pounds. To determine what your actual load is, follow these steps:

1. Add together the weight of the driver and all passengers.

2. Subtract this number from 850.

3. The result is the amount of weight available for cargo or hauling.

4. Determine the average weight for all the cargo you want to carry.

5. If the cargo weight exceeds the remaining weight allowance, it’s not safe to carry it.

6. If you’ll be towing a trailer, the tongue weight will need to be factored in as well.