Q: What Does the Accessory Belt on the Front of an Engine Do?

asked by on December 02, 2015

What does the accessory belt on the front of an engine do?

The accessory belt is used to turn any accessory by the crankshaft of the engine any time the engine is running, without having a direct mechanical connection. The belt is used by the engine to turn all the accessories at different speeds depending on the pulley sizes used. The types of accessories commonly driven by the accessory drive belts are the water pump, air conditioning compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and air injection pumps. If an engine is equipped with a supercharger then it is most likely driven by an accessory belt.