Q: My car system beeped with the low coolant warning light and went to cold and then it completely shut off

asked by on April 27, 2017

I was driving my car when i was stopped at a light when all of a sudden my car literally jolt beeps and it shows the low coolant warning light. Then it stalls like it was in neutral we got over to the side and turned the engine off and on it restarted no problem and we ended up putting coolant in. It slowly went from cold to normal after driving it around. My question is what could have happened and should we not drive it till we see a mechanic

Hello. If the coolant was low enough and if the engine started to get hot then it will shut down. Hopefully the engine turned off before any damage occurred. If the coolant was that low then there is a leak. It can be in the water pump or a number of other places. If it is not evident then the system will need to be pressure tested. If you want some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why it is losing coolant] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/coolant-is-leaking-inspection