Q: Brakes pedal kicks back, abs light turns on and prevents gears to shift.

When coming to a stop, brake pedal kicks back and abs light comes on. Then when i hit the gas, the car wont shift. It feels like the breaks are locked.

The warning light about the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) is telling you it is activating. If this is happening on dry pavement, then it is likely a malfunction with the ABS. You definitely want to get this checked out ASAP. It’s likely you have a wheel speed sensor out. Some of these sensor malfunctions can be found after doing a scan for diagnostic trouble codes. You may want to start there. If the ABS is engaged and thinks the vehicle is in need of extra traction control, then you may experience the shifting issues you were describing. To prevent further damage, a YourMechanic certified technician can be dispatched to your location to perform an ABS Light is on Inspection on your vehicle to help determine the issue and any necessary repairs.

3. Brakes pedal kicks back, abs light turns on and prevents gears to shift.