Q: Steering- u joint

Hello,

My steering is not smooth enough and everyday I should get the u-joint (inside the car under dash) some lubricant spray and it becomes very smooth but after 1-2 days it gets stiff again.

Should I change the u-joint or is there any good lubricant that keep it smooth?

Thanks

A: Hello. What you are describing is somewhat ...

Hello. What you are describing is somewhat unusual, particularly if you are referring to a joint that is "protected" (i.e., under the dash). The entire column and linkages should be examined to see if there is something amiss causing a binding condition, such a damaged needle bearing in the joint. Note that when you are looking at the column or in that area, you are right near the air bag so be cautious. Typically, if you "work" in that area, that circuit has to be de-activated as a routine practice. If you need to help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the steering and suspension in person to determine whether the U-joint should be lubricated or replaced.