Q: Can the parking brake be adjusted ?

asked by on February 25, 2017

Took the car to a Lexus dealer, Service Mgr. said there was no way to adjust the parking brake

Hi there. If your Lexus has rear disk brakes, there are two different ways to adjust your brakes. One is to back up about 10 miles per hour and apply the parking brake. The other way is to remove the rear wheels and with the brakes released, turn the piston in slightly with a large flat screwdriver to where the brake pads are beginning to apply to the service caliper. Then put the wheels back on and check the parking brake. All parking brakes are adjustable as they are applied by spring tension and not by hydraulic pressure. If you need further assistance with adjusting your parking brake, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.