Q: I changed the break light switch and now I can not get the truck out of park

asked by on May 23, 2017

I have no break lights, I checked the bulbs, fuse, relay and all checked out fine. I then changed the break light switch and still had no break lights. With the engine off I have a strong break pedal, when I start the truck the break pedal goes to the floor. at that I gave up for the night. the next morning when I started the truck I can not get it out of park. do not understand why pedal goes to floor when truck is started. believe that is why can not get out of park.

Brake safety Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be having issues the with ABS system. Considering the timing with the brake light switch, you will want to verify that installation and make sure it is clean, dry, and tight. If the transmission does not detect that the brakes are being pressed, the transmission will not move out of park, pointing to an issue with the switch or its circuit. You may also want to check to verify that the brake lights are getting power when the pedal is pressed, both while on and off. If there is not an electrical issue, you will want to turn your attention to the vacuum and brake fluid. There may be a vacuum leak involving the booster. All of the vacuum lines should be inspected. The hydraulic brake fluid lines, fluid level, and fluid condition should all be inspected. For more help with these inspections, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr