Q: hi my chevy malibu goes in reverse,neutral,park but not drive

asked by on July 28, 2017

HI I HAVE A CHEVY MALIBU AND 2 WEEKS AGO I WAS DRIVING TO THE STORE NOTHING SEEM DIFFERENT ABOUT THE CAR I PUT THE CAR IN PARK AND WENT INTO THE STORE I COME OUT GET IN THE CAR GO IN REVERSE WHEN I PUT IT IN DRIVE IT DID NOT MOVE . IT SHIFTS IN OTHER GEARS BUT DRIVE SOME PEOPLE TOLD ME ITS THE TRANSMISSON BUT NOBODY REALLY LOOKED AT IT. MY NEPHEW DID USE THE CODE MACHINE IT SHOWED CYLINDER 2 MISFIRING NO OTHER CODES. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

If no power train codes appear, other than the misfiring on cylinder no. 2 which is not relevant to your issue, there may be a mechanical or hydraulic failure in the transmission such as a failed piston in a clutch pack, valve body failure, forward sprag failure, and so forth. Simple faults such as low fluid level and incorrect linkage adjustment should be looked at but if nothing obvious appears, pressure testing will be required, as well as application of a real time scanner to determine what gear is actually being commanded. If you want the necessary diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a transmission shift diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.