Q: Can't get axle all the way flush to transmission

Originally had old axle removed, and the transmission output shaft came out with it. The splines on the shaft are a little damaged but axle will not go back on all the way to transmission. It seems like something inside the tranny is stopping it from going on or could be splines stopping it. Also when you put car in drive it makes a scratching/grinding sound like the shaft isn't fully locked back into the final drive, I really need my axle put all the way back in and shaft, thanks alot car has been sitting since August 2016.

Hi there. There is typically a slot or notch on GM axle splines that need to be properly aligned in order to fully engage. Damage to a spline can also cause the shaft to not fully align as well. If the axle has been out of the transmission for an extended time, it’s also possible that rust or other debris has developed inside the transmission housing. One of the best resources that will help you correctly install the CV axle is a service and repair manual for the 2006 Cadillac DTS. Believe it or not, sometimes reviewing the instructions written by the engineers that designed the vehicle can simplify the process. If you’re in need of having a professional mechanic help you with this task, you can request a quote for this service by clicking this link.

3. Can't get axle all the way flush to transmission