Q: Grinding noise when the car is started 2003 Hyundai Elantra

My car has 115,000 miles on and I purchased it brand new. Several months ago, the car started making some noises similar to metal scratching, The grinding noise is noticeable only when I start the car. I think it is coming from the area where the starter is located. It would disappear after the engine has been running for several minutes. Otherwise, the car runs fine. What might be causing the noise?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2003 Hyundai Elantra. It sounds like the starter pinion or flywheel gear that it engages have worn out causing the metal grating noise you mention. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose the grinding noise.