Q: My girlfriends 2006 Toyota, 6 cyl, 4WD 4Runner's fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank when actually empty. What could be most likely cause?

My girlfriends fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank when actually empty. She has a 2006 Toyota 4Runner, 6 cyl, 4WD.
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. On most newer 4Runners, the fuel pump includes the fuel level as part of the unit commonly referred to as a fuel module. It is likely that the level is not calibrated, dirty, broken, or has an electrical issue. Typically when this occurs, you just replace the entire module. This will make sure the level is new and working, the sending unit is clean and new, and the pump is new as well. If you are not in a position to do this, then remove the unit and clean it well. Make sure there is no physical damage to the level, and that it is able to move freely. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. My girlfriends 2006 Toyota, 6 cyl, 4WD 4Runner's fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank when actually empty. What could be most likely cause?