Q: Can a purge solenoid cable cause a EVAP leak code?

asked by on September 29, 2016

I have P0455, P0456,and P0457 codes but no cracked hoses and the smell of gas comes from right by valve.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for your question. When the engine is off, the vent shutoff valve and canister purge valve are closed. The fuel can’t escape into the atmosphere. When the engine starts, the purge valve on the canister opens to allow the trapped fuel vapor to be drawn by engine vacuum into the intake manifold. At the same time, the vent shutoff valve also opens to allow a small amount of air to enter the canister and mix with the fuel vapor for a better mixture. Once vented and the pressure sensor in the tank shows a significant drop, both valves close sealing the system once again. When this solenoid cable does not supply proper continuity, this does not allow the venting of the system to happen as it should. This is what causes the EVAP leak codes.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose any issues for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr