Q: Advice on buying a used car

I'm looking to buy another car. What are important things to look for when buying a used car? What are the good questions to ask the seller?

A: Personally, I don’t even talk to the seller...

Personally, I don’t even talk to the sellers. People may lie when they are selling their car. The best thing for used car is--if you’ve been driving for a while you know about cars--get it to drive it on a highway for 10 minutes or around town and see how it rides. If you like it, before you buy it, take it to the mechanic and let them check it out for a pre-purchase inspection.

I check out cars all the time. All good mechanics check out cars. That’s what they do. YourMechanic guys, you call them up, make a roll call, and they can check out the used car. It’s the best way to do it. Mechanics can find out problems on the car. Talking to people--lot of people aren’t honest. I don’t even listen to them. When somebody brings a car and I’m checking it for my customer, I just say: "Nice to meet you, but don’t talk me about your car because I’m busy checking it." Every once in a while, I get an honest guy who tells me everything from--oh down here, there’s a bug here. But, lots of times, they are not. So, try it and get a mechanic check it before you buy it.