Q: Brakes are not responding correctly

My brakes feel like I'm hauling a over loaded trailer behind me almost all the time. When I start to come to a stop I have to push extra hard for it to come to a stop. It almost feels like it wants to push back. I have had this issue for over a year now. I have taken it to 3 different shops and every one says there is nothing wrong with. I have replaced every thing with the best parts available except for the front calipers, brake booster and master cylinder. I have had the fluid flushed just to check for air or contaminants in the fluid by one of the shops and once by the dealer ship. Still the issue is there. I have also done the brake booster check and it was fine. Any ideas?

There are many factors that influence the force that the brakes apply to the rotor and drums. The brake booster will multiply the brake applied pressure of your foot pushing on the pedal. If you think the pedal had to be pushed too hard to stop the vehicle, then the front rotors and rear drums need to be checked for any overheating or glazed surfaces.

If the rotors are glazed, then have the rotors replaced or resurfaced if possible to see if this helps. Check that the brake booster is working by pumping the brakes several times to bleed off vacuum in the booster and then starting the engine with your foot on the brake to see if the pedal goes down when the engine starts. This would indicate that the booster is working. If the booster is bad, then replace it and see if that helps. There may be other issues like proportional valves or ABS modules that can also cause this problem and further tests would need to be done using specialized brake test equipment. If you need help with any of this, a professional from YourMechanic can diagnose and service your brakes at your home or office to get your car safely back on the road.

3. Brakes are not responding correctly