Q: How does the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer system work?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How does the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer system work?

If your Altima is equipped with the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer system rather than the vehicle security system, you have significantly more protection from theft. The system works to prevent someone from stealing the car (although it will not prevent people from stealing things left inside the car).

Really, the name pretty much says it all. When armed, the system prevents the car from starting for anyone without an authorized key. The key must be registered with the car’s computer, or the engine will not start.

Tip

Make sure you never leave the key or Intelligent Key™ in the car, or the immobilizer

will not work.