Q: hey i had a belt break while traveling on my 2004 honda pilot. It is the small belt and not the serpentine belt. The mechanic t

Battery light came on and car died while traveling. Looked under the hood and a small belt was broken. Had it towed to an out of my home town repair shop. The repair shop has called me and told me that my ac compressor locked up and tore the belt. He also stated that there is only one belt that drives everything, but I am sure this is not the case as was able to pull the small broken belt out and still see the serpentine belt intact

I looks to me that only my alternator belt broke, if that is what the small belt drives and i don't need a compressor as it appear to be driven be the serpentine belt. Is he trying to rip me off?

A: Hello. The smaller belt is known as your ti...

Hello. The smaller belt is known as your timing belt, and it works inside the engine to keep mechanical components aligned with each other during the compression cycle. The serpentine belt, which is the big belt, drives the alternator, water pump, AC compressor, and a couple of other components. If the small belt broke it is likely the timing belt. This will cause the car to stall, lights to illuminate, and can even cause serious damage to the engine. Typically replacing a timing belt is a lot more complicated and expensive than replacing a serpentine belt. You may want to receive a second opinion on the car before you go ahead with repairs.