Q: My car won't start - 2005 Nissan Micra

Hi my car was fine yesterday morning, but when I went to get in it last night it wouldn't start. It's a 2005 micra, the engine is trying to start but not firing up. The yellow malfunction light has come on and also the low oil pressure light flicked on a couple of days ago but then went off. My other half said he had heard rattling for the last week or 2 but I havnt. (Probably because I don't know what to listen out for)

Thanks in advance for your time. Kerry

A: Hello. You may have a short-term and long-t...

Hello. You may have a short-term and long-term problem that are the same. For the "Oil Light is on", check the oil level before starting it again. If the oil level is low enough to cause the oil light to come and go, and if there is a "rattling" noise in the engine as you describe, major damage (connecting rod or crankshaft bearing damage) may have already occurred.

It is also possible that the engine has lost enough compression from the oil shortage that it does not have enough compression to start and run. I would recommend having a Oil Light is On Inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and estimate for repairs.