Q: Transmission issue, car limps and very slow in drive

red cog and P on display. car goes in reverse but limps and very slow in drive. 3 weeks ago i replaced, air filter , oil and filter, expansion tank and coolant (bmw coolant) and cleaned mass air flow sensor

A: Hello. If this light is coming on, then the...

Hello. If this light is coming on, then the computer is detecting a transmission issue. I always start by checking the fluid. If it is low then this will occur. If the fluid level is fine then the condition needs to be looked at. If the fluid is really dark or smells burnt, then this will occur. If the fluid is fine, then the computer will need to be scanned for codes to see what is coming up. If the transmission itself seems to be fine then it may be a failure in the transmission control module. I would recommend taking this to the dealer or having a transmission specialist look at it. If you need to have the limping symptom inspected, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the issue and guide you through repairs.