Q: Brake fluid leaking

Did a brake job on my 2003 F350. Had to replace a caliper. I now have a brake fluid leak. It looks like it is coming from the bottom side of where the brake line attaches to the caliper. There is what appears to be a brass washer between the bolt & the brake line fitting, which seems to be OK. The leak is coming from the bottom side of the fitting, where it sits on the caliper. There is no washer or anything. That's where the fluid seems to be coming from. I have tightened the fitting very, very tight, but it still leaks. Thanks.

Hi there. There are two copper crush washers, one on each side of the banjo fitting (the "banjo" is the segment of the brake hose that the bolt is put through). The reason it is leaking is you appear to have left off the second copper washer between the caliper and the bottom of the banjo.

The copper washers are never re-usable. Simply install two new copper crush washers - one on each side of the banjo - and torque the bolt to exactly 26 ft lbs. using a calibrated torque wrench.

If you undertighten the bolt it will leak. If you overtighten it, it will leak and you will distort or break the bolt and crush the banjo fitting. If you believe you have overtightened the bolt in trying to stop the leak, simply buy a new bolt so that when you torque it to 26 ft. lbs. with the new washers the bolt doesn’t break off in the caliper. Obviously, it is a special hollow-drilled bolt but the parts stores do carry them. If you need further assistance handling this brake fluid leak, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to have this resolved.

3. Brake fluid leaking