Q: Engine sputters

The engine sputters at over two on the RPM dial. I can't drive it. I've been told by nonprofessionals that it could be an idle sensor, fuel injectors, fuel line, etc.

A: Hi there. They are correct that some of the...

Hi there. They are correct that some of these parts may cause the issue. If the Check Engine Light is coming on, then I would typically scan the computer for codes first. This can give me a good indication of what the computer is seeing as the problem. If there are not any codes then I would typically start by checking the fuel pressure and the spark plugs to see if anything looks worn or is out of specifications. From the description it sounds like you may have a valve timing issue or low fuel pressure. If you are planning on having the car looked over, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can diagnose your engine’s sputtering issue.