Q: Can crankshaft position failure be caused by someone putting sugar in the gas tank?

The first problem consisted of a belt squealing when I would start the car. If the air/heat is on I can usually turn that off and the squealing stops. Or If I push on the gas pedal it will squeal really loudly and then stop. 2nd problem started after an argument with my neighbors. They egged my car overnight. few weeks after while driving to DC. I was going 70 mph and the RPMs dropped. the car felt like it was going to shut off. gas gauge doesn't work at times. Even if I fill the tank up the gas gauge stays on empty and will randomly go up to full. Sometimes it will drop back down to E and then slowly rise back up. There's hardly any power and feels like it is going to stall. The check engine light just came on the other day and I had it checked at Advanced Auto. The computer showed code P0337. After looking that up it shows a Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' low circuit imput. Could that be related to someone putting sugar in the tank. (neighbors)

Hi there. It is highly unlikely that sugar in the fuel tank is causing your crankshaft position sensor problem. Overtime, and due to exposure to carbon deposits and dirty oil, the tip of the sensor can become clogged with debris and unable to read correctly. It’s also possible that the electrical harness that connects the sensor to the ECU is pinched or damaged due to exposure to high heat under the motor. You might want to have the crankshaft position sensor replaced; as well as the electrical harness so you can eliminate possible issues with the warning light coming back.

3. Can crankshaft position failure be caused by someone putting sugar in the gas tank?