Hi I have a 2013 bmw x1 with an n20 [engine](/topics-engi...

Hi I have a 2013 bmw x1 with an n20 [engine](/topics-engine/) that has a code p052b. Prior to the code it says low oil pressure on the dash. I did an oil change and after that the car wont start anymore. Tried to check what Is p05...

Hi I have a 2013 bmw x1 with an n20 [engine](/topics-engine/) that has a code p052b. Prior to the code it says low oil pressure on the dash. I did an oil change and after that the car wont start anymore. Tried to check what Is p052b and find out it camshaft position sensor over retarded bank 1. What could be the reason why it wont start. Somebody told me if it is not original bmw parts on the cam shaft sensor it could be the cause or needs to be program. Is the timing chain the culprit in this case. Thanks

Automotive Expert
Hi. I'm Daniel and assisting you today on your inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you have with your X1. The fault you experience can have multiple causes, the timing chain itself is one of them. Also, the variable engine timing system your car is equipped with works with engine oil pressure. You mention a low oil pressure warning that came up before. Was the car driven with this warning for some time? Any chance you can check the oil pressure for plausibility with a gauge while cranking the engine over?

We did a compression test and there is a good compression. How do we check the oil pressure at crank.
Automotive Expert
You would need a oil pressure gauge connected to the oil pressure sensor outlet. Then crank the engine over and check the pressure value for plausibility.

if there is pressure perse what could be the cause the car wont start just after an oil change thanks
Automotive Expert
Was the car driven for a extensive time while the oil pressure warning came up? This could have damaged the engine or caused the timing to skip.

Not much but in came to a point the car wont accelerate. After the oil change. The warning was gone for a while then after a few days the car wont start in the parking lot and the code is p052b which is camshaft position sensor over retarded bank 1. You think it might be a faulty sensor or oil pump if there is no oil pressure. Is the engine totally damage if timing chain skips? Thank you
Automotive Expert
As you have compression I don't suspect a complete engine failure. However as a next step I would verify oil pressure and check the engine timing to get further direction. Usually this is not a sensor issue and indicates a skipped timing. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. I know it can be frustrating. Let me know if you have any questions at this point.
Automotive Expert
Hi. Following up on our conversation. Have you been able to take another look at the car yet and have the mentioned items checked? Let me know if I can provide anything else at this point. Thanks.