Q: Battery keeps dying on my car

asked by on May 13, 2016

Recently I went to start my car and the battery was dead and couldn't be charged, so I replaced it with a new one. A couple of days later, the new battery was dead, too. My car has been at the dealership for several days now and they can't find anything wrong. They checked the alternator, the starter, fuses, etc., and the battery keeps going dead. Now they are checking each individual wire for problems. What could this be?

You have what is called a parasitic draw. The vehicle has a shutdown protocol it goes through to power all of the computer and accessories off. Something in the vehicle is failing to shutdown, which means they need to pull fuses out one at a time until the draw goes away. Unfortunately, sometimes this could be a lengthy repair to find the exact draw. Hopefully the dealership is keeping in frequent contact with you, letting you know what they are checking.