Q: Automatic transmission programming problem

I'm having some issues with the automatic transmission in my car. While I'm driving at the speed of 30 mph, the car is showing that it is in fifth gear. Similarly, when I drive at only 45 mph, it shows sixth gear. Another weird thing is that when I'm accelerating fast, it would show downshifting gears. So, for instance, then it would shift from fifth gear to second gear. It is confusing how this transmission works and how it is possible to downshift in order to accelerate while going at the speed over 65 mph. I was told this a programming issue. What do you think? Is there any way to fix this or should I just drive this way?

While I agree that this is all probably built into the programming of the transmission computer, after looking at the Mazda service information, I see no TSB’s that states Mazda has any updates available in transmission programming to address any of these concerns. However, there is a TSB that does correct torque limitations that will correct issues with steep hillclimbs. This would affect the downshift logic, maybe under heavy acceleration you might be triggering an over torque protection feature and that is why the the transmission downshifts from 5th to 2nd. But this is purely speculation. You could take it to the dealer and get the latest software calibrations installed along with a fault survey of the transmission control unit to be sure that you do not damage the transmission in case there is a problem with the current software installed. I would have the shifting and acceleration issue checked sooner than later to avoid any major damage from happening to the transmission.

3. Automatic transmission programming problem