Q: Battery isn't holding a charge even after replacement. Could it be the alternator?

My 05 ram 1500 just last weekend had the "check gauge" light come on. so I parked t and tested the battery with the proper equipment. charged it over night, put it back in my truck and it still didn't hold a charge. there is no leaking, so we think it might be the alternator, or possibly a computer issue. any advice or possible ideas as to what is wrong would be greatly appreciated.

A: Hi there. The most common cause of a batter...

Hi there. The most common cause of a battery not holding a charge can be a faulty alternator. Other causes like a voltage regulator, PCM (power control module), or an electrical short. In plain terms, the battery is simply there to start the vehicle. Once running, the alternator provides your vehicle's electrical needs. If the alternator is not charging or the voltage regulator is bad, the electrical system will go to the battery as a back up for it's electrical needs. Since the battery cannot charge itself, it will eventually die. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your car's location to diagnose the charging system and move forward with proper repairs.