Q: Battery dies, something drains power when the car is off

I drive a 2010 Ford Edge and I think there is something drawing power from the battery when the vehicle is off. I have replaced the battery twice so far in 57,000 miles and the alternator is fine. It struggles to start up when I let it sit for a few hours and if it is sitting for 16 hours or more I know that I will have to jump it. Where do I start as far as figuring out what part is drawing power?

Ford had a Technical Service Bulletin regarding 2008-2009 Edge models with the Accessory Protocol Interface Modules drawing on the battery and requiring a software correction to fix the issue. Since you have a 2010, you should contact Ford to verify whether your Edge’s manufacture date places it in this category. Otherwise, a skilled auto technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can perform an amperage draw test on the battery when it is turned off, then start isolating circuits drawing excessive current. This can be time consuming as there are many circuits used on your vehicle. But can still eventually isolate the source of the draw.