Q: Attempted to change oil filter, but the oil filter cap broke, the top half of cap is broken off, the threaded part still remains.

So how can I remove what's left of the oil filter cap> In the process of trying to chisel and hammer it off, the majority of the caps dome broke off. What is left is the threaded half. How would you recommend taking the remainder off properly.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I would proceed ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would proceed to carefully continue with the hammer and chisel. You could also try using a punch with the hammer to try and spin it out. The sudden shock from the punch could help jar the cap loose. When you do get the cap off it doesn’t need to be very tight. It just needs to be a tinny bit tighter than hand tight. This happens when the cap gets over tightened. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!