Q: Alternator belt battery light

asked by on September 14, 2016

Replaced Battey a few months ago. Now car has started idling low when I turn air on and battery light then comes on. It did this same thing a month ago and the went away. Now if I use air I have to put car in neutral and rev gas..at redlights. The belt I had car running and used that thing on engine to rev car I watched belt and it didn't squeel but obviously went fast. Didn't seem to stick or slip. The alternator has a date sticker of 2011. Thanks for help and pricing to fix my car. Carrie G Cleveland, Tn

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1362.41 Get a Quote

It sounds like your car alternator is not charging enough at lower speeds. Have the charging system checked to make sure your alternator is working or not and replace it if not charging enough. The bad battery may have caused the alternator to burn out a diode and lower its output. If you do in fact need to replace your alternator, consider a certified technician from YourMechanic who can come to your home or office.