Q: After jump-starting my car it won't shift gears.

asked by on December 27, 2016

I had to jump my car yesterday. When I got it started I noticed that it was already shifted into neutral. When I shift gears the knob turns and it says it's in a different gear but it does not shift. I have pulled the battery cables and let it sit overnight. I have put in a new battery. And I am still having the same problem.. someone told me to use a scan tool and reset the error codes I was wondering what you thought?

Hi there. There could be an issue with either the shifter or the transmission position sensor. If the vehicle was jump-started with the transmission in neutral, then it is possible that the shock from the battery cables being spiked as the jumper cables are connected could have caused the transmission position sensor to fail. Scan the computer for any codes that would relate to the shifting issue. If there is no codes, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission shifting issue.