Q: Advance Trac dash light comes on and the brakes are applying.

asked by on December 20, 2016

My f250 work truck has the advance trac light that comes on. When that happens the brakes engage and I have to pull over. The brake pedal is spongy all the time and when I bleed the brakes, the front do fine but the rear bleeders are bone dry with no fluid at all. I have a bosch computer that tells me all my wheel speed sensors are saying the same thing so I assume the speed sensors are working. I have to unplug the abs sensors on the rear axle and delete the codes and then plug them back up and delete the codes again and wait like 10 to 15 minutes before I can go again. I can fix a lot of things but this one has got me. Please help!

Hi there. When the Advanced Trac light comes on and then the brakes are being applied, this means that the traction control system is active. The traction control is designed to apply the brakes to a wheel when the wheel is spinning out of control. Check all of the wheel speed sensors and make sure that they are working properly. Also, check the main controller to the Advance Trac for any loose wiring or damage. If everything is checked out to be functional, then I recommend replacing the Advanced Trac controller. For the bleeder screws not having any fluid coming out of them, either there is a leak in the brake system or the combination valve is stuck shut and there is air in the system. If you need further assistance with a spongy pedal and the traction control coming on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.