Q: A possible misfire but don't know for sure - 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

When I'm driving the car it drives fine idles fine but when I give it some throttle the car jerks hard just once and won't do it again until the next day. It seems to only do it when the motor is cool. It never happens when idle or after I've been driving for some time only a few minutes after start up in the morning. Could the be a misfire or something else? Another question is it dangerous to the life of my car?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. This problem seems to be with the transmission and not the engine. When driving the vehicle around all day, the transmission gets all of the fluid to all the clutches inside and operates them normally. When trying to perform a hard acceleration with the engine cold, not only it is hard on the engine, but it is hard on the transmission.

The transmission fluid may have air in it after starting the vehicle and causes the transmission to shutter a little when demanding heavy throttle. I recommend starting the vehicle and not driving it around until the engine has some time to warm up. If you have not performed a transmission oil flush and filter change, I recommend changing the transmission oil and filter. If you need assistance in changing the oil or checking out your transmission, then seek out a professional to diagnose the jerking problem so that this can be addressed appropriately.

3. A possible misfire but don't know for sure - 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt