Q: My 2008 Honda accord keeps misfiring on cylinder 2 and i don’t know what to do.

asked by on December 13, 2017

I need help with my 2008 Honda Accord LX-S. The cyclinder 2 keeps misfiring and i don’t know what to do. I’ve replaced all the ignition coils , catalytic converter, and replaced the spark plugs around 4-5 months ago. I took it auto zone and they check the codes and it recommended i get a new crankshaft Sensor but i replaced that a few months ago. Do I need new spark plugs or what? It hasn’t been driven a lot recently due to the misfiring and I’m tired of wasting money on things that don’t fix the problem. Also it’s a 2008 coupe not a sedan.

If the plugs are new that is unlikely to be the cause of misfiring. Compression in the No. 2 cylinder should be tested because if you have low compression or a sticking valve in that cylinder, that could cause a misfire. Also, if there is a vacuum leak at the intake at that cylinder, that can cause a misfire. Another possibility is the random misfire is due to intermittent faults in the fuel injector and/or ignition components so although these components appear to be in spec during static testing, in fact they are not reliable and are later, in service, operating intermittently. Finally, the ignition and fuel driver circuits in the PCM for the misfiring cylinder could be faulty; that is the absolute last thing to test though unless you happen to have handy a known good PCM that you can substitute. If obvious possibilities don’t pan out, an oscilloscope is used to look at the firing pattern in the cylinder and from that firing pattern you can tell if it is a fuel or ignition system related issue; the diagnostic then narrows from there. As a retail parts store, AutoZone does NOT perform diagnostics and trouble codes read off a scanner are NEVER a diagnostic. Any part referred to in a trouble code that is suspected of failure must be separately and individually tested and that diagnostic effort is completely distinct and separate from simply reading codes off of a code reader. What you need is a diagnostic from a person who is trained in auto mechanics. If you want this resolved without further delay, simply request a misfiring diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.