Q: Drivetrain

I wrote previously and described the incident that took place and what the car was doing but in short the car locked up and wouldn't move when put in gear, after an hour or longer when showing my buddy that came to pick us up what it was doing it would move but still made a grinding noise. I decided and your mechanic agreed that it probably wasn't the transmission. After getting the wheels off the ground and putting it in gear the wheels still didn't turn until I grabbed the right front to see if I could turn it manuallyand it started spinning but making a noise in or around the hub. I replaced the axle with CV joint and now it doesn't move again when put in drive and i can hear a humming or spinning noise. Its all wheel drive but even after putting the new axle in and spinning the wheel manually, the other front wheel turns but the rear wheels don't. Does that sound like its probably in the transaxle or differential. I've heard it called both.

I’m not clear on whether you were able to operate the car after changing the CV shaft and the car failed again, or if you never got it working at all. As you say, it could be a problem in the transmission or in the transfer case. These transmissions have been giving Lexus a pretty bad rep so it’s possible you are one of many experiencing transmission failure. The stakes are pretty high here, and a bad call could cost a lot of money, so I think you should have somebody come check it out. Contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your Lexus and make a recommendation