Q: 96 F150 cranks, but wont start. Lack of fuel has been confirmed, but i still need to diagnose the correct part. How do i do that?

asked by on July 23, 2017

If I put a little gas in manually, it will run for a few seconds till it burns the gas off that i put in manually, but still won't draw gas on its own. Tried turning the key on & off a few times to prime the fuel line. (The tank had previously been run out of gas) Fuel pump runs for about 2-3 seconds to prime the line, like it should. I replaced the pump only 2 months ago. Checked the fuse,& Replaced the filter today. Problem persists. Need to know how to properly diagnose the troubled part. I also pulled the following EEC-IV codes:

212 - loss of diagnostic monitor signal. 542 - Fuel circuit failure 556 - Fuel pump relay primary circuit failure Please help. Thank You, Tim

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you have confirmed that no power is reaching the pump once the car is running, such a fault can only be diagnosed by tracing the supply circuit (might have to be done, too, while "independently" powering the pump to keep the car running while you trace the circuit for the fault). You will need the factory wiring diagram because the control circuit might not be "straightforward". I can guarantee though if you use the wiring diagram and trace the circuit from power source (the battery) to the pump, through all wiring, fuses, relays, and any control boards, you will find the interruption. If the "new" pump was run dry, that could create an issue, too, by the way. To get the power supply problem resolved, the recommended service is an electrical circuit/component diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr