Q: Broken Dipstick

I was checking my oil dipstick and when I went to put it back in the tube, it got stuck. I must have pushed a little too hard because when I pulled it back out, the little twisted section of the tip was broken off. My question is what is the best way to retrieve the broken tip and is it unsafe to drive with it down there?

This depends on where the tip ended up. If is is still in the dipstick tube, the tube may be removed to get the broken part out. If it made its way to the oil pan, You may need to have the pan pulled to remove the tip. Sometimes a magnet through the oil drain can remove it.

A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to help you remove the broken piece. Good luck.

3. Broken Dipstick