Q: My 4x4 system stopped working.

My 4x4 system stopped working. I have had it in a shop for a few weeks but still nothing. I have replaced the motor on the transfer case, the control switch, fuses, relays, and the gem module. I can't afford to pay for the mechanics to keep trying this and that. What could it be and how do I correct it ?

Hi there. First, put the vehicle on 4 jack stands with all tires off the ground. Then, start the engine and put the transfer case in 4 HI. Then put the transmission in Low. Watch the tires and drive shafts to see what is moving. If the front drive shaft is not moving, then either the chain in the transfer case is broken or the fork is misaligned. If the front drive shaft is turning, then the front axle engagement switch has failed and is not working. If your see the wheels trying to turn but you hear a grinding sound, then the front hubs are ground out and need replaced. Shut off the engine and when the vehicle is off, put the transmission in park after the wheels have stopped and lower the vehicle after diagnosing your problem. If you need further assistance with your 4WD not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My 4x4 system stopped working.