Q: Car stalls when decelerating and/or going over bumps, especially speed bumps.

My car intermittently stalls when my foot leaves the accelerator to either slow down or go over speed bumps. Usually at speeds under 15mph, while slowing down. The stall is unrecoverable, it just shuts off. The strange part is it usually will not start again without spraying starter fluid into the intake. Gas is good. Air intake good. I literally have to unhook the intake and spray starter fluid into the throttle body to start it. I can't duplicate the problem by simply slowing down, but I can if I go over a speed bump at 10mph. It also has had trouble starting once or twice in the past month since it got hot out here in south Florida.

The most common cause of this intermittent stalling is due to a few potential problems. The most common faults would be:

• a wiring fault
  • failing fuel pump
  • an open or short in a sensor

Intermittent issues can be a little harder go diagnose, but a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose this stalling issue and perform any repairs required.

• Car stalls when decelerating and/or going over bumps, especially speed bumps.