Q: 4WD button blinks

My Honda Passport is having problems going into 4 Wheel Drive. When I engage the 4 Wheel Drive dash button it blinks constantly which means it’s not in 4 WD drive. Sometimes the green light will stay solid which means it is in 4 WD. So I took my car to a repair garage and they didn’t see a problem. Do you have any ideas and solutions on this?

A: Hey there. Thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there. Thanks for writing in about your 2002 Honda Passport. This sounds to me like the transfer case motor has failed. This is an electric motor that engages and disengages the transfer case in order to use four wheel drive.

I would recommend having the transfer case motor inspected and tested using the manufacturers recommended procedure. If this motor is working properly, you will likely hear a slight clicking noise when engaging and disengaging the four wheel drive.

If this click is not heard, this may be a sign that the motor has failed. Further testing would determine for sure if the problem lies within the transfer case motor.

If the transfer case motor does require replacement, it is best to go ahead and replace the transfer case fluid as well as some fluid will be lost during the replacement anyway. If you need to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your shifting problem and let you know what needs repair.