Q: 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0t won't start and has a light on dash board that says parking brake fault

asked by on August 05, 2017

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0t won't start and has a light on dash board that says parking brake fault would this stop my car from starting

The parking brake fault on this model is typically traced to the switch or a failed mechanism in the caliper due to corrosion. There is a code reader that a mechanic can apply to read any stored parking brake fault codes. The parking brake warning light, and the accompanying fault, are merely coincidental to your no start problem and thus are not a cause of the no start. With regard to the no start, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the starter motor is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel or air induction fault in the engine that will have to be identified and repaired. However, if the starter itself is not operating, the starting circuit will have to be diagnosed. To obtain a diagnosis and repair of the no start fault, the service to request is a no start diagnostic. The same responding mechanic will be able to resolve the parking brake issue as well. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr