Q: 2005 Cobalt CEL after code repair

Hi My car was misfiring and staling, decreased speed ect blinking CEL .. code was ignition coil. replaced repaired and changed plugs. GREAT !!! except 20 miles later CEL came on again solid... stopped at ato parts they read code... Now it said Cat. Converter !!! what the heck... WHY ???? guy said its running clean now and is getting plugged ?? HUH.... OK. Well can I drive it without repairing til I can afford that ? What would cause that now ?
Thanks !

A: Hello. A catalytic converter code can come ...

Hello. A catalytic converter code can come up for many reasons, usually indicated by the specific trouble code. A catalytic converter code can point to a few different things. Depending on the code, a few common causes could be faulty oxygen sensors, issues with the engine management system, or a faulty catalytic converter.

You may continue to drive the vehicle, however, it will likely cause the issue to worsen over time. If the Check Engine Light starts flashing, I would then stop driving the vehicle, as the computer has detected an issue that could potentially cause damage to the vehicle's emissions components.

As the possibilities will vary depending on the specific trouble code, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location, to diagnose the Check Engine Light and determine if the catalytic converter needs to be replaced.