Q: 2003 Toyota 4Runner sport 4x4 V6 4.0L

My 2003 Toyota 4Runner sport V6 4x4 gear is shifting very loose and the shifter won’t stay engaged in 3rd gear. It’s automatic transmission.

Hi Maung. Thanks for sending in your question. If the shifter rail fork or the synchronizer is damaged, then a gear will not be achieved. This is likely what is causing your gear to pop out. To determine if the fork is bent or if the synchronizer is damaged, check to see if you have 1st and 3rd gears. If both 1st and 3rd gears work, then the synchronizer is damaged. A bent fork will affect one of the other gears. This would have to be verified by a professional transmission specialist.

3. 2003 Toyota 4Runner sport 4x4 V6 4.0L