Q: 2003 Honda CRV: Do I really need a new serpentine belt and aftermarket AC compressor?

Had three AC failures (compressor, clutch, coil and condenser replaced first time in 2007, compressor, clutch coil and condenser replaced in 2009, AC fan replaced in 2010; AC fan blower transistor replaced in 2011) in car so eventually went to outside mechanic who put in an aftermarket compressor in 2012. Four years later, the serpentine belt broke and Honda dealer (outside mechanic no longer in business) says they can't replace serpentine belt without replacing compressor. Is this just a ploy to have more work done? It has run for four years with the "wrong size" belt.

A: Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechani...

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There is no reason that the only way to replace the serpentine belt is to replace the compressor also - don’t buy that! Now, if by chance the mechanic who is no longer in business installed the wrong compressor, then the dealer will be correct in saying they won’t replace the serpentine belt without installing the correct compressor. If you would prefer, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and inspect the serpentine belt and make all necessary repairs.