Q: 2002 Wrangler. Replacing an air control valve. After installing, is there anything special we have to do?

the idle goes up and down all the time even when not running heat or air. we are going to change idle control valve. is there anything we have to do after changing it, like putting it on a computer to program it?

This is a relatively simple process that generally includes unhooking the old idle air control valve and plugging in the new one. Here are some simple steps to follow:

• Scan the computer system in the car for codes
  • Check for any vacuum leaks
  • Check electrical connections
  • Remove and replace the idle air control valve if faulty
  • Clean carbon out of intake manifold ports
  • Clear Engine Check light

If you are having trouble with any of this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the vehicle’s idling.

• 2002 Wrangler. Replacing an air control valve. After installing, is there anything special we have to do?