Q: Engine code, left bank overretard and engine shaking 2004 Ford F150

asked by on March 02, 2017

I have a 2004 f-150 with 5.4 engine. About 2 months ago it started shaking while idling at an intersection and an engine code came back. When I checked the code it said left bank overretardrd. Looked this up online and a couple suggestions came back. I replaced the VCT solenoid on the left side and the problem went away for about a day and the code went away. Then it came back. Since it's winter and I only use it back and forth to work the engine never fully gets warm and the problem only occurs after she warms to operating temp. Lately the weather has been warming up and I noticed she is shaking more quickly and rougher. Only other thing I can tell you is that I normally change the oil Myself with motocraft filters. But last fall for the first time I had a mechanic do it and he used another type filter but checked that it was correct and had the backflip valve. It was changed 4 months before the problem started occurring. Only other guidance is that it could be timing chain/phaser $$$

Hi there - there are several possible cause for over-retarded cam timing. The VCT solenoid could cause this, but a failed cam phaser, worn timing chain guide, stretched timing chain or simply low oil pressure can also cause this problem Worn chain guides are the most common cause, and inherent with higher mileage V8s of most any manufacturer. I would recommend a engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm a diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.