Q: Car won't rev or go when pushing gas pedal. Only revs up in neutral or park unless you work with it to keep it revving

I have a 1996 subaru legacy 2.5 gt an when I crank it up an it can have a cold or hot engine an u push the gas pedal to go an it barely does anything like ur not pushing the pedal but u can put it in park or neutral an hold the gas pedal down an eventually it will Rev up like normal but if u put it bak in gear it does it again finally u can get it to go down the road if u work the pedal right an get it to stay revd. What could be my problem? It has new felpro head gaskets an other new gaskets the came with the felpro head gaskets set. An new fuel filter

A: Hello. The first task in solving this probl...

Hello. The first task in solving this problem is to extract problem codes that are set, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. There are several problems which could cause this behavior, such as a bad throttle position sensor, fuel supply issues (low fuel pressure), or a dirty or bad mass air flow sensor. Problem codes will narrow the cause more quickly, and help avoid replacing parts that are not the problem. If you need to have a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the gas pedal problem and follow through with repairs.